Tuesday, September 28, 2010

IAR 101 Container Project

This container project involved 12 wood sticks of our choosing, including a binding agent and some papers. Since there were many varieties of sticks to choose from the possibilities were limitless for this project. We were suppose to combine the 3 materials together and form what would seems to be fitting for all materials involved. After some considerations and pick and choose, I decided to go with bamboo, since it was stable and would give good balance to whatever I might do in my process. But that wasn't the hard part it seems, as finding a place with bamboo seems to be more of a difficult task. After a while of searching, I finally found a spot filled with bamboos on a corner of a street. It had to be some kind of funny joke as an Asian guy was just walking up to the field of bamboo and chopping it down like they do in Vietnam (that was a joke.. I have no idea what they do in Vietnam). But finally, I got my sticks to work with, more than I needed at the time. But as time went on my project started to take a turn for the better.

It was the poor construction of the bamboo building that I knew I had to go back and make things better again, not just for me but for the bamboo's sake as well. I felt that if I was going to cut down so many bamboos for work with, I had better make it into something worth the destruction of them. The initial progress was so horrible, I don't even want to put up an image of it, but I'm pretty sure the image is still clear to a few in their own mind (the professors). Anyways, I decided on a new approach and was inspired by a wavy bench design (it was actual design as a ceiling but I suggested it to be a bench to them so I ended up using the idea instead). I knew what I wanted to do and so the process wasn't that difficult.

The first one I made actually turned out pretty well, as I took my time and did all the planning step by step. This was how it ended up looking like.



In the first few days that this project was completed, the colors on the bamboo were gorgeous. But as days passed by, it was drying up and dying. The colors lost its natural texture.

I also made a smaller model to test color strips of paper I wanted to add on to it as well but the professor said it didn't needed the extra attention, but here are the photos:






I tested out a couple of different shades of green paper to match up with the texture of the bamboo colors and wanted to see which colors would do best. But turns out plain white was the best choice :)

I also made a simple construction of another thing for fun. It took me literally 2 minutes but a lot of people who walks by my cubicle actually noticed it and liked it.





The major things that were pointed out to me about my project was how the paper should grace all of the bamboos more, instead of having some tips pointing out if you look closely enough. Portions of the bamboo wasn't being attached fully to the paper so the look might change if I had done it over again but this time cut the bamboo to where it would touch every surface of it. Also, an idea bout making the bamboos having an organized look to it, for example, smaller width bamboos gradually increasing in diameters as it reaches the other end. With these ideas and thoughts, I went back and reconstructed another one. The final look came out to look something like this.



But, pretty much that is my project this time around. I really enjoyed making it because I had a clear purpose after awhile and I knew it was something I could be proud of doing. Hopefully the next project will be something as interesting and fun as this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment