Friday, September 10, 2010

LEAF PROJECT IARC 101

There were many steps that was involved in the creation of the final product for this project. But it began with a blank expression as to what I would do since the guidelines were pretty much opened to almost all possibilities as long as it only involved the one sheet of paper, 12.5" by 12.5" and a leaf of my choice. I had probably experimented with 4-5 different leafs and a couple of different types of paper before deciding on the final material to use, but even then, the final thought wasn't what I had predicted to be the final product. I believed I struggled with the thinking process of this project as I was trying to be too complex with my creations instead of just going with the flow and creating something simple but effective. Which sometimes is the best method for anything. I listened to the different ideas and examples my professors were providing and it became easier, little by little, it was forming into something worth noting. As I was experimenting with trash papers and the final leaf that I wanted to work with, which afterward I would make the same design, only better quality, and a different style of paper, I found that the trash paper didn't hold up to what I wanted to do so well. The strength it provided was weak, and therefore, the walls caved outward. But, it's OK, I thought. This was only an example of the final product. Before I had decided on the final one, or what I thought would be, I had initial planned to have 2 sides folded up, forming what seems to be a window with vertical line openings in the box. The leaf would be wrapped inside and outside to hold together the paper. But then another problem presented itself. I couldn't think of a way to get the strands of paper, the vertical part, to hold each other, or even to be attached to the other side of the paper. I had to come to a conclusion that I either needed to cut those off, or keep it intact wholly, without stripping any pieces off. And that was when this came about:



I weaved the leaf into the four top sides, and it came out what looks like to be an H shape. This final product with the trash paper wasn't bad, but the wall needed to be tuned up better to make it stand completely up as if it was a box. That's when I was about to use the final paper product of the Vellum paper to make the box, but saw a piece of paper rolled up perfectly, from all the pieces I have been cutting out from. I picked it up and examine it with interest, and decided to play around with it a bit. I placed cuts into several areas of the rolled up piece of trash paper and then began to slip the leaf into it and out. It was so simple, and effective, hardly any troubles, as if this was what was suppose to be in the first place. The way the trash paper illuminated the leaf from within because it was transparent, to how the leaf itself looked like as it wrapped around the cylinder trash paper, everything fitted together so wonderfully. This image of the product stirred something inside of me as every time I look at it, it just felt right, like this was a part of me, something that must be kept the way it is. That's why I didn't decide to use any other different type of paper for this one, and also because the wrapping would differ from one piece to the next. I did, however, decided to cut the tip of it, making it seem like the leaf had a certain direction to follow in. Here is what it looked like, the product that I chose to stick with in the end:



And this, was my final project for the leaf & the paper. Two piece of items that relates to each other not only in materials but how it also interacted with each other. The perfect place for a leaf to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment