Thursday, February 3, 2011

Light Box.. Make it shine!

Our first project was to design a box 12x12x18 to which we had to cut/fold or anything other ways we can think of to produce 4 layers of lighting in the box with a light source. My model at first was a simple X shape cut-out. Shinning the light on top of it displayed an X inside the box, splitting it into four different quadrants. Simple enough, eh? Maybe too simple, that now I have to make it a bit more complicated in the next step with skewers involved.

At first, I wanted to still somehow keep the X shape, because that was going to be the key to my 4 different lighting inside the box. I decided to change the top up with two rectangular cutouts instead, and had them bent inward. I then realized I can put the skewers through them, forming an X shape, without it being too obvious. But after a few trail and errors, I noticed that another skewers would not only help it become more connected but also form a better shape inside the box so I stuck with that. Pretty much I was done at this point after several cut outs that I thought it was complete. I kept looking inside the box and notice the skewers inside the bent cardboard box cutout and it didn't look very attractive to me. I messed around, measured, and finally came up with a triangular figure bristol board cutout and glued it on there, giving it more depth and also covering up that unwanted space.

Overall, I'm pleased to how it turned out. I managed to get my point across and still maintain some aspects of my original ideas in place.







No comments:

Post a Comment