Thursday, February 24, 2011

Story!

They arrived here not too long ago. I picked them up from the airport and greeted them both with big hugs. They were probably happier to see me than to be where they were even though they just spent 18 hours on a plane ride, traveling from Vietnam to the states, where they have always wondered what it was like. I helped them with the luggage and drove them back to my home. On the way back we spoke about general things like how was school and what were I up to these days. “Long and sleepless nights,” I replied with a chuckle. We continued talking until I pulled up and announced to my grandparents we were here.
We carried the luggage inside and I set it near the staircase in front of me. “Are you guys hungry,” I asked. “Let me fix you something to eat, come to the dining room.” I lead the way to the kitchen and grabbed some water for them and entered into the dining room. It was a separate, open space, with windows all around it. It was like a half enclosed rectangle with 6’ window frames separating the outdoors to where the dining table was. On each side was two large windows, but the most fascinating thing about it was that when you sat down to eat, looking up was like being outdoor, camping, for instance, due to the windows installed as the ceiling as well. It was one of those places that I loved being in because of its ability to be an enclosed space but also seems like it is one with nature. The dining table was a bit more oval than most dining tables, and could seat 6-8 people comfortably. Everything was handcrafted, elegantly detailed with red oak finishing.
I signal for them to sit and told them I would prepare dinner for them as the sat down and recovered from the jet-lag and overjoyed of seeing me.

No comments:

Post a Comment