Sunday, December 5, 2010

Luminaire Project Part I

Our final project of the semester, probably the most complicated as well, since it involves all the knowledge that we have gained throughout the semester, as well as the experience of doing projects up to now along with working in the wood shop. We had to design a luminaire using wood and any materials that we have used in previous projects to articulates the surface upon which my phenomenological analysis cast on. Using a fluorescent bulb as the light source to power the lighting effects.

As I needed an inspiration to how to do my luminaire, I recreated a similar project I had in my previous project. Using Styrofoam, and instead of cutting it up, I bought a cube piece and digged a hole out on one of the side to insert the light bulb into it. I painted the cube to resemble clouds and the sky. When the light source was lit up, the effect was pretty strong, and my brain starts bubbling with ideas.



I decided to start out with a board, measuring 10" x 10", (2) 12" x 12", to make it stable while holding the items within it. Next step was to decide on how to create the illusion of light filtering through it, and that's why my item of choice was plexie glass. Cutting lines running up along the side of the board, and lines across it to slide the plexie glass into them.



The plexie glass was very clear, so I needed to dim the view a bit. Placing yellow transparent color paper over two of the plexie glass inside, made the the color dim down a bit. I farther added 3 more vellum paper to the outside of the plexie glass layers to shadow the effect onto it. I then painted two of the middle plexie glass layers with a dark gray, but only partially to create the shadow effect of clouds and diferent color lighting onto the outer layer of vellum. And another on one of the side. I also painted the inside sky blue to represent the sky, while the outside white to make it more visually appealing.


No comments:

Post a Comment