Sunday, December 5, 2010

Luminaire Project Part II

The concept behind my inspired theme is lights through the clouds – seen from a window. So, to replicate this slightly, I made these two joining pieces of wood, cut at certain sizes and arrangements, which is more view as functionality purposes. Originally, I had the top part also made out of wood, but after a few trial and errors, I decided that the top would match better with the sides if it were done in the same fashion. It wouldn’t disrupt the flow of the object and overall projection was therefore enhanced in the end. I also decided to spray paint it black, instead of keeping the same colors from my other model, blue inside and white on the outside, because it wouldn’t distract the audience and allow them to just view the light source itself because blackness of the wood would merged with the surrounding and the image casted upon the plexie glass would seem as if it was hovering in the air, just like an actual sky.

How I got the image the way it did:

Through many, many experimentations with different ways to cast shadows onto these plexie glass that I was able to create the image it showed. It was also a serendipity moment as well. When I decided to paint one whole side a dark gray, and then applying a sheet of vellum onto it, hoping the paint would stick to the paper, (my trial and error method.) After applying pressure and letting it sit for a minute, it started to form figures, and my imagination took over.

This redo of the final project made it much better and I appreciated the work involved for the final product more as it was in better quality and had better effects. Redoing things over and over again really do make it better each time.

Below is the images from my final project for the semester.















No comments:

Post a Comment