Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Industries of the Blind, GSO

THIS. PLACE. WAS. AMAZING.

Absolutely an eye opener for people that have no idea what this building is all about, and the type of people involved with the company. In the beginning this place was kept as a secret from society, but now, they want to expose themselves a bit more so that other people can see what this building is all about, and I couldn't be more excited to get involved in this project.

Below are some photos of what an awesome place this really is, although I didn't get any of the garden area yet, but I will post those up later.

Photos -


Oh, Look, its our professor, Patrick.






This last image alone says so many things about the workers in this company. I will let you interpret this image as I begin to tell you my experience thoroughly of how I remember it to be like.

I have always wondered what this Industries of the Blind building was all about. I would pull up to the red light on Lee St. and there it is, to my right side. I've passed it so many times before but never gave it much thought or divulged into what it had in store. But I never took the time to find out, and I believe many other folks like myself has also been wondering about this but also not taking the time to explore.

This is why we must elaborate the exterior of the building to reflect what is going on within the building. My story begin walking up the hill where usually I would drive instead, and as I was a few minutes late from the rest of the crowd, I didn't have the time to take in the surrounding much of the outside but I noticed the entrance way could used some work, something to make it more pleasing before even entering. Once inside, there was a reception desk to my right, one of the workers buzzed me in. A locked door only accessible behind the reception desk unlocked and another worker aid me into the elevator to the second floor. I noticed the stairway to the left and a little garden underneath it. "Hmm, that's pretty interesting," I had thought to myself as I enter the elevator. I'm sure the other students took the stairs and had a different experience leading up to the conference room.

Once inside the conference room, which was a bit roomier and user friendly, I sat and listened in to the talk. Hearing the story of how the majority of the workers in this very building was either legally blind, or have some other sort of disability, and yet they still function normally just like how you and I would if we were in a workplace. But these people were extraordinary; they were doing things we usually do without any difficulty, and actually even at a much better pace and efficiency, even though they were at a disadvantage with their eyesight. Made me realized that we depend too much on our vision and we were the ones who were actually at a disadvantaged. Navigating through the working zone, you couldn't help but be in 'awe' and 'ooo' at what and how these people are doing. The whole tour was actually quite intensive, occupying a large portions of the building that I had no idea was actually this huge. After the tour was over, I never felt more motivated to do something in my entire life. This is it, my design calling, why I chose design in the first place: to help clients & users come together and be able to enjoy their surrounding environment, and to provide a sense of functionally that best cope with their needs.

Sometimes, all we need is someone to believe in us and show us the way. I believe that that is what this company is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment